What is a 5 & 5?
A formative assessment designed to give you immediate feedback about your course from your students during the semester.
How Does It Work?
One of MCTC’s Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) Campus Leaders will come into your classroom for 30 minutes (while you step out) and ask your students two questions:
- What are the 5 best things about this class that should continue?
- What are 5 things you would suggest for improvement?
Students break into small groups to create the lists and then come back as a class to choose the top 5 best things and the top 5 suggestions.
A student from your class takes notes.
The CTL facilitator gives you the notes at a separate time and answers any questions or concerns.
The CTL facilitator does not keep any records. You are the only person who will see the results. (This is entirely voluntary and confidential!)
“I just want to let you know how valuable the 5 & 5 assessment is. One of my students from the class just came by to thank me for the class. He said that he thinks there was a turning point in the class after YOU did the 5 on 5 assessment.” –Instructor
Why Do It?
- Affirmation that you are on the right track
- Specific suggestions to improve your methods
- Effective way to connect with students
- Great tool for faculty who are new to teaching as well as seasoned veterans
Contact us today if you would like to schedule a 5 & 5!