We hope that you are enjoying the summer! It is that time for us to start looking forward to fall.
This message contains information about the following
- Next year’s 2014-2015 Academic Calendar
- “Assignment” for All-faculty Session during Fall Opening Days
- Survey for interest in Book Discussions during Fall Opening Days – due July 18
- Submit proposals for Resource Fair tables during Fall Opening Days – due July 18
- Submit proposals for faculty sessions during Fall Opening Days – due July 18
- Tentative schedule for Fall Opening Days (Wed, Aug 20-Fri, Aug 22)
(1) The official Academic Calendar for the upcoming year is attached. This is available on the Shared Drive (All –> Academic Calendar) and is more accurate than the Academic Calendar on the MCTC web site (which is intended for students). The Academic Calendar is set through Faculty Governance Council; if you would like to propose changes or make suggestions for future calendars, attend MSCF meetings or contact MCSF leadership (this year’s President is Darren Wieland).
(2) In preparation for the All-faculty Session during Fall Opening Days (8:00-10:15 on Thursday, August 21), we would like you to read this article:
(3) We have scheduled a time for Book Discussions during Fall Opening Days (10:30-12:00 on Thursday, August 21). In spring, we collected, communicated, and distributed 20 different book titles. We would like faculty to read the books prior to attending the discussions. In order to know which book discussions to schedule, we would like you to complete a survey to select up to three books you have read or would like to read then discuss during this time. We will include the final Book Discussion sessions by July 25th to give you time to select books, finish reading, etc. Please complete the Book Discussions Interest survey by 11:59 pm on Friday, July 18.
(4) We will have a Resource Fair during Fall Opening Days (1:15-2:30 on Wednesday, August 20), and we encourage you to submit a proposal to request a table to share your work or other resources. The main audience for this will be faculty, but we will also invite staff and administrators to attend as their schedules allow. The deadline for table requests is 11:59 pm on Friday, July 18. To request a table, please complete this Resource Fair Proposals form.
(5) There are two time slots for 2-hour faculty sessions during Fall Opening Days (2:45-4:45 on Wednesday, August 20 and 8:45-10:45 on Friday, August 22). We welcome you to propose a 2-hour Concurrent Session, 2-hour Cross-discipline Session, or 4-hour Workshop. The deadline for session proposals is 11:59 pm on Friday, July 18. To propose a session, please complete this Session Proposals form.
(6) The tentative schedule for Fall Opening Days is below. We will add rooms and send a final schedule by Friday, July 25.
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
8:00-12:00 All-college Administrative Programming (offices closed)
12:00-1:15 Fair Set Up
1:15-2:30 Resource Fair
2:45-4:45 Concurrent Sessions, Cross-discipline Meetings or Part 1 of Workshops
4:30-6:00 Phil’s Farewell Reception, Helland Multi-purpose Room
Thursday, August 21, 2014
8:00-10:15 All-faculty Session – please read the following article
10:30-12:00 Book Discussions (please complete survey)
12:15-1:15 Brown-bag Lunch with Deans
1:30-4:30 Coordinator’s Meeting or Faculty Working Time
2:30-4:30 New Faculty Orientation
4:45-6:00 New faculty dinner outing (pay own way)
6:00-8:00 D2L Introduction and Basics – open to all faculty
Friday, August 22, 2014
8:45-10:45 Concurrent Sessions, Cross-discipline Meetings or Part 2 of Workshops
11:00-12:00 Faculty Office Hour
12:15-2:00 MSCF Meeting – open to all faculty
2:15- Program/Division/Department Meeting Time